Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 2: Jello Shots and Booty Pops...guess which one I did?!


Today was one of those crazy days where, if I was 30 days into the Project, I would be in big trouble because of my lack of planning. As it is, though, I fared well because of luck and leftovers. Hoo-rah!

I was in a rush to run an errand for work and in my hurry, I didn't make breakfast or lunch for myself. I also knew that I had Zumba at 5:30, so I wasn't sure how dinner was going to materialize, either. As it turns out, I completely forgot about my stash of protein shakes in the trunk (Don't laugh, but yes I have a protein shake stash. Right next to my emergency roadside kit, sleeping bag/pillow, and saucer sled. It's important to have all the essentials).

I had to stop at one of the Pat's Pizzeria stores on my round of errand-running and was given my very first free lunch (And yes, there IS such a thing as a free lunch...when you have board meetings with the owners of pizzerias). Obviously with the Lent(il) Project, I wasn't about to order food at a restaurant, but the manager actually told me that the owner insisted I have a complimentary lunch while I waited for some papers to be signed. Seeing as this didn't compromise the Project and may have actually been Providential (because I literally turn into the Devil when I don't eat), I ordered a cheese sub and worked on my menu plan for the upcoming weeks.

And the food gifts kept on coming! At Zumba class, the instructor's mother was present and it was her birthday, so everyone passed around cupcakes and jello shots. I thought this kind of out of place considering we were about to intensely booty pop for the next hour, so I declined on this less-than-Providential food offering. I mean, cupcakes and jello shots in a Zumba class? If that's not the devil wearin' white, I don't know what is... After class, I ate leftover broccoli rabe over basmati rice. I didn't care about the garlicky burps so much tonight, since I was keeping company with three boys under the age of ten.

As strange as this may sound, I actually did quite a bit of reflecting during Zumba. It's hard NOT to jar something when you're shaking so much of yourself. Anyway, there I was, dancing my with my entire body and(mostly) free of all insecurity and inhibition when it sort of hit me (to a Latin beat) that not spending all this time and energy into buying food was its own kind of freedom. Much like having a shimmy off with my Zumba classmates is a kind of freedom. Now keep in mind, I'm not a person who would say they 'eat to live'. I should be that kind of person but I'm not. And frankly, I'm not even sure if that's a wholly Biblical perspective on food, either. I mean, for Pete's sake, Song of Solomon consists of food/sex metaphors. Solomon was clearly not just eating to live. I'm just saying food can be more, just not everything. And I am struggling to find the balance. So yeah...this is what I think about when I'm booty popping. Biblical metaphors.


Anyway, here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: Protein Shake (courtesy of the Buick's junk in the trunk)
Lunch: Cheese Sub (Free!)
Dinner: Leftover broccoli rabe served over Blossom House style basmati rice (lots of nutritional yeast, bragg's, and Earth Balance)
Snack: Homemade yogurt with honey, granola, and frozen blueberries


P.S. In the spirit of food gifts, I accept any and all gifts of broccoli rabe.

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome. I love getting ideas from you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to join your Zumba class SO BAD. Why are you so far away from me?

    ReplyDelete